Wednesday, October 12, 2005

teaching/learning

ahh another day of teaching. I keep being amazed and what things I learn while teaching art. Yes that crazy thing were we sit around and work out our demons, desires, or project "Breakfast Club" onto milk while speeding it up to play over just one minute. You can still make out Molly Ringwald! Art becomes this interface to discuss the more interesting aspects of life and I can't be more pleased to be part of that relationship. There are also some fabulous fellow teachers around both generous and creative. I just had a wonderful conversation on art and life with Gioj De Marco over a plate of rather poor food. She said she had a plate full of questions for Michael Fried (from my last post) and I just know she would have given him hell if she could have gone to the lecture.

Another aspect of teaching is the issue of authority and I am still very mistrustful of that. I can feel myself constantly tring to undermine whatever authority I have, at least during the moments I am not abusing it. I think a lot of students really want to by into the authority myth, it lets them believe in the system, in their education, and it may be one of the only things that makes them do their homework. Ok, wait this is a positve post so no need to veer towards pessimism. g-nite and it's back to class tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get Camino!