Thursday, June 14, 2007

Learning to shoot

No I'm not talking about photography, I actually took a handgun training course this summer. I know most of my arty peeps are vehenimently opposed to guns but my feelings are a bit more ambivalent. I think of it like I do my use of computers in art. I don't necessarily think computers are "good" or produce more beautiful work rather I think of them as relevant, as a part of the vocabulary of today's society and it is for that reason that they should be investigated, experimented with, and learned. In general I've always wanted to know what it like on the other side. I mean that is what feuled much experimentation in other aspects of life whether its drugs, sex, politics, or lifestyles. None of it is %100 percent safe, and I'm not saying I want to "experiment" with guns. I actually learned about their safe handling at Shoot Safe Learning school in Torrance. I did only so so in the target competition portion of the course. I think i had a slightly more artistic approach to what a bullseye is then the leaders did. All your shots right in the middle is boring composition! If anyone wants to go to a shooting range with me and make pretty compositions on the target please let me know, its pretty exciting and a good learning experience if you haven't done it before.

*image is Joanneke Meester's Pistol. A Dutch artist who had her skin removed then sewn over the mold of a gun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Flounder Lee said...

If I didn't have a broken wrist I sure would and I think it will be casted until I move. The fact that I own two guns gets me flack from people sometimes but growing up in the South, they are a part of everyone's life in the same way that ice skating is for a New Englander. One was my Grandfather's that my Grandmother gave me after he died.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get Camino!