Bia at the Haus
I went and checked out Bia Gayatto's work at the Haus gallery in Pasadena. The series of sleeping couples she created was fantastic. She photographed couples sleeping every 45min throughout the night by use of a timer and strobes. Why I was so pleased with them is because they successfully read as studies of human behaviour and formally as visually playful. An interpretation I had of the people sleeping was that overall sleep seemed a lot less restless then we may imagine. It was almost as if we wrestle with some internal demons while we sleep. Not all the series gave me this impression and it may simply reflect my own sleep issues. Actually the series with Bia and her partner was probably the most loving and pleasant of the bunch. Also of note is you have not been to the Haus Gallery is that it is actually in a house (another nice layer to the work).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home