Digital Universe
There is a very interesting article in the LAWeekly on the nature and state of New Media art in Los Angeles. (title of post is linked)
Sent in by Shane and Flounder
Sent in by Shane and Flounder
Covering current art events, interesting web finds, film reviews, occasional personal rants, and information for students.
16 Comments:
Fascinating article almost too much to handle… (I could have done without so much name/institution dropping but hey)
I am totally interested in the WiFi.Bedouin, mainly because it brings us closer and closer to the concept of a cyborg community. The idea of physically attaching a unit to your back and walking around with it is only part of the allure (for me) the second part exists in the fact that other people have direct access to your network and database. In a way it promotes physical activity more than sitting at a desk in an office or room would. What a truly strange concept to be chomping down your morning scone at the local coffeehouse and the person directly next to you has access to your “self-contained network” (I’m not even sure what that is?) nonetheless it sounds intriguing…cyborg world here we come.
-Shannon Cottrell
Socal rules in Media Art and plastic women!
chris smith
I saw Michael Naimark's "Be Here Now" piece at SFMOMA over the summer. It was an interesting piece of video art. One that kept me transfixed for at least twenty minutes.
In relation to the article, I believe that technology has always played an integral role in shaping art. Specifically in the creation of new art forms. I think what's more important to note in art today is the way that consumerism and corporation has slowly been shaping the art world into more of a marketing scheme through the same platform of celebrity found in Hollywood.
-Ryan S.
It was intersting, I did not know that L.A. has become the center of Media Art. Nor did I know that people from other background other than Fine Art and Film are also contributing to the Media Art world like engineers, architects, and scientists. I now want to see/ participate in Jordan Crandall "Homefront" piece,Michael Lew interactive film "Office Voodoo", and Bleecker's WiFi.Bedouin backpack is pretty cool.
~Ayne G. Laveaga~
It makes sense, LA being the center of Media Art. It would definitely be a difficult task for Media Art to really grow and break through elsewhere. Some interesting ideas were presented in this article. I was especially intrigued by the WiFi Bedouin. It fits right in with our Engage the City projects.
And I forgot to put my name in the comment above...
- Nadia Abu-Hijleh
Mark Allen posted the question of what defined new media. I think we have totaly talked about this in class more recently with our invade the city project. For example Suji had her portablre video because she used materials that are available to anyone and got some people to interacct as well as created a dialog that would not normaly occur. It's also good to see that artist are moving forward and finding new languages to communicate with. Or like the article stated the audience can relate more to the tecnology.
Ceci
I like the idea of art and technology becoming a tool of communication. Reading about the guy taking a wifi backpack around reminded me of my project. It is the same concept, where the medium becomes a network system. In my case it was a portable DVD player that made it possible for me to take my video art practically anywhere and the chance to engage in possible social interactions. The devise/art becomes the mediator between the artist and the audience.
It's exciting to hear that artists are the forerunners of progressive thinking as far as engaging their audience with interactivity with their art. The "Voodoo Office" is a great example of this kind of art where it becomes a collaborative piece between the artist and the viewer it only functions if the audience participates. Hollywood has yet to explore.
-Suji Lee
"new" things always challenge people. I think that is why artists are always looking for new ways to show their thoughts. I think I rather prefer to work in traditional ways. Regarding traditional arts, there are still many things that we should reconsider. Traditional arts are more familiar to general people, so it is hard to change the way people think about arts that are made in traditional ways. I am of many people who believe we can change that, at least eventually.
But, I still wish I could deliver new messages thru my works. And it is alway amusing to encounter with new art forms. It inspires new messages in me. I also think that there are certain things that artists can't tell via traditional art forms.
- C.S. Lee
The world has increasingly become dependant on technology and it only makes sense that media art is the direction that artists are heading in to get their message across.
I feel that art must constantly evolve and utilize all the possible mediums to reach people. Sometimes I feel that art has gotten to the point where it can only reach those in the art community who speak the "art language" of color theories and deep concepts that it misses reaching the general public. To use technology is to utilize something that society is already apart of and understands.
~thuy-mi nguyen
This area seems like an interesting compilation of some of the directions that science is heading and art. Makes you wonder can science be art? Even if it wasn't designed for that purpose?
New Media artists as communicators...never saw that coming. Isn't it really all about doing everything possible to put new media into a category? Sure something must come of it, something solid, something we can all sink our teeth into and get a pay check from, but when that time comes won't it really all be over?
The ride is what we should cherish. New Media is too much about technology because technology is too much a part of the promise of the future. Once technology becomes integrated like putting on pants, and once technology is no longer attached to the american dream, then and only then will the question be greater than the work.
Hmmm, I guess Im a new media artist. Oh well.
Too bad we dont teach robotics and stuff here....
Brian
Since we have made it all the way to become more "advance", More "Mechanical" and "Technical", Since we succeeded to seperate our souls from eachother, with loosing our natural ways of commiunacations, Since our technology surpassed our humanity, We might as well use the monster in our benefit. Lets start making technology that reminds us of love and humanity.
test
I'm interested in screen-baased work of art, but I like the idea that technology helps not only artists to engage in social interactions but also audiences to communicate with the art/artist.
-yuko-
Post a Comment
<< Home