Saturday, November 05, 2005

Looking at Art

I visited the ecstasy show at MOCA today. I enjoyed a good many of the works in this show and especially enjoyed Elija Liisa Ahtilla's video work. It is really the only one that resonated deeply with me. The rest were visually stunning at times but as I left the show I felt a bit empty from the experience. Kinda like drugs I guess, so maybe that is a further sign this show which is described as "in and about altered states" was a success. Someone else that stunned me was Paul Nobles. Holy Crap.....those large scale drawings are insane.
*This show is a must see for my video class. Comments to this post are most likely their required responses to the show.

Next up was LACE on Hollywood Blvd. The Joe Sola show looked tempting on paper but the reality of it was a total letdown. Skip this one folks.

Bergamot Station: Since traffic was bad it was time to stop off at the ol'train station. Many stinkers as usual there but I have a friend that loves Kaz Oshiro so she will get a kick out of his kitchen appliances at Rosamund Felson. Boy that stuff was selling like hotcakes so if you want a painting that looks like a real Washer or dryer in all 3 dimensions then you better get there quick.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ecstasy show wasn't all i thought it would be. There were some interesting pieces. I thought the Glen Brown paintings were excellent. Also the Matrix II light installation was interesting...made me feel like I was in an altered state, but you could only view it from the edge of the piece...thought it would be even better if I could walk down the rows and fully immerse myself. Some of the work seemed silly, overall I wasn't that excited about it!!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really liked the videos by Ripilotti Rist, that made me feel like i was on some altered state. Focusing on the still projection and then swiching attention to the rotating projection really made me loose my balance. another piece i liked was the "City Glow" annimation. I though the annimation work was impressive and the motion that it had was simple but verry effective. i personally liked the start of the video when the environment starts to have motion. Ive never been on acid (or anything that strong at least) but i thoought the moods creat by the animation were something i can imagine you would get with an altering substance. The pieces i didnt really care for were the pill installations may be because i was looking more into the the motion art.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last comment was carlos

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of drug induced art or art relating to drugs. Unless it is commenting on the pharmaceutical industry, such as some of Damien Hirst's pieces. This show did have some of that (the play-doh pills), but most of the work I got nothing from because when thinking about them they seemed one-dimensional. Their content solely based around the idea of drug induced states. I experienced enough of those kinds of things walking through funhouses at local carnivals. The difference being that the carnival had a one handed clown and this show a two headed naked lady.
-Ryan S. ART436A

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As oppse to everybody else here, I did enjoy the show!
I enjoyed Chiho Aoshima's animation; very ambitious piece. Her style looks alot like Takashi Murakami. My other favorite piece was the three channel video piece by Eija-Liisa Ahtila. Made me want to go back to museum and watch it again. Very strong concept.
There was one thing i was thinking all the time though, If some drugs make us feel united with the world's energy, If it is so beautifel and amazing in all kinds of diifrent ways, If we can have a show about it in a museum of contemporary art, why is it still illegal then?

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get Camino!